ADVFN.com is one of the UK‘s leading financial investor websites, reaching over 35 million page impressions per month. It offers innovative tools over the web, mobile devices and interactive TV.
My Role as an employee
Systems Developer, May 2000 to Jan 2001
At ADVFN I was a New Media Developer and headed the development of WAP and interactive TV services.
Other tasks included:
- Developing dynamic web pages using PHP and HTML.
- Integrating our Sybase, MySQL and PostgreSQL databases with the front-end application.
- Creating financial feed handling tools using C/C++ for back-end processes.
- Direct contact with customers through Focus Group meetings and day-to-day support.
- Developed ADVFN.com Interactive TV services in under four weeks; able to save the company over £60,000 and six months development time.
- Created ADVFN.com Mobile Internet site using existing tools and Open Source Software; rapid development and low-cost saved further time and money.
- Opened communications with Orange. This resulted in a major collaboration agreement.
Technical skills important for this role were:
- C and C++
- Sybase, MySQL, PostgreSQL
- VI text editor
- Knowledge of Liberate platform for interactive TV